What is the Design-An-Ad Contest?
Design-An-Ad contest provides art curriculum for local teachers and gives art students the opportunity to show off their talents. Local businesses sponsor a classroom and the students create an ad campaign for them. Businesses can select a school to create their ad, or allow multiple classrooms to work with them. Winners receive a small monetary award. Winning ads and students are recognized in a special Design-An-Ad publication.
Friday, March 3 – Deadline for class registration. A maximum of 30 classes will be selected to participate. Classes will be assigned to businesses by a random drawing.
Wednesday, March 15 – Ads due back from teachers. Please have students attach a 2” x 3”-size photo of themselves to their entry. Photos are published of the winners (in all categories) in the NIE Design-An-Ad section.
March 21-24 – Standard-Examiner online readers choose winning ads to be published.
Friday, March 31 – Publication of the annual NIE Design-An-Ad section in the Standard-Examiner.
Design-An-Ad Contest Rules 2017
• Registration will be accepted from teachers only, for the entire class (min. 20 students). Registration and entries cannot be accepted from individual students for this contest.
• Teachers may register their classes to participate in the contest by completing the Design-An-Ad Registration form in this brochure and returning it to the Standard-Examiner. The contest is limited to 30 classes. A class will be matched to a business by a random drawing from the completed registration forms. Deadline to register is Friday, March 3, 2017.
• Teachers whose classes are drawn will receive a packet containing entry forms, advertiser guidelines, and instructions to help students design the ads.
• Classes will be assigned to design ads for a local business that has purchased space in the NIE Design-An-Ad section. Students in the class will design an original ad for their assigned business. Teachers will then submit all of the student designed ads to the Standard-Examiner. Then the ads will be given to the business assigned to the class. They will select three favorite ads from the class entries. The first place ad chosen by the business will be published in the NIE Design-An-Ad section Friday, March 31, 2017.
• Ads chosen for publication in the NIE Design-An-Ad section will compete for cash prizes. Viewers of the Standard-Examiner’s live online will participated in selecting the prize winners.
Photography Contest Rules 2017
This year’s photography contest will be judged based on the theme of “My Community.” We invite your students to consider the theme in their subject matter.
• Photo should be non-illustrated, without special effects or computer manipulation.
• Entires should be the original work of the student and should not have been previously submitted to this contest.
• Unmounted 5×7 or 8×10 photos will be accepted. (Black and white or color photos are acceptable.) Slides and low resolution
or poor quality prints will not be accepted. Digital photos will be accepted in pdf or jpg format. If possible please email with 300 dpi resolution.
• Standard-Examiner’s live online viewers will participate in selecting the winners between March 19-24.
• Photography chosen for publication in the NIE Design-An-Ad section will compete for cash prizes.
• All eligible students are encouraged to participate. It doesn’t matter if you have an expensive camera.
• The NIE Design-An-Ad section, publishing on Monday, March 31, 2017 will include the winning entries, plus any other photos chosen by the judges for publication.