February 5 – March 30, 2018
What is the Design-An-Ad Contest?
The Design-An-Ad contest provides art curriculum for local teachers and allows students the opportunity to show off their talents. Local businesses sponsor a classroom and the students create an ad campaign for them. Winners receive a small prize. Winning ads and students are recognized in a special Design-An-Ad publication.
Monday, Feb. 5 – Deadline for class registration. A maximum of 30 classes will be selected to participate. Classes will be assigned to businesses by a random drawing.
Monday, Feb. 5- March 2 – Student and public photo contest entries may be uploaded at events.standard.net/daaphotography-contest/
Friday, March 2 – Ads due back from teachers. Please have students attach a 2” x 3”-size photo of themselves to their entry.
March 13-18 – Standard-Examiner online readers choose winning ads and photos to be published.
Friday, March 30 – Winners of the Design-An-Ad and photography contest are published in the annual NIE Design-An-Ad section in the Standard-Examiner.
2018 Design-An-Ad Contest Rules
- Registration will be accepted from teachers only, for the entire class (min. 20 students).
- Registration and entries cannot be accepted from individual students for this contest.
- Teachers may register their classes to participate in the contest by completing the Design-An-Ad Registration form link at the end of this page.
- The contest is limited to 30 classes. A class will be matched to a business by a random drawing from the completed registration forms. Deadline to register is Monday, Feb. 5, 2018.
- Teachers whose classes are drawn will receive an email packet containing entry forms, advertiser guidelines, and instructions to help students design an original ad for a local business.
- Teachers will submit all of the designed ads to the Standard-Examiner by March 2. The businesses will select their three favorite ads from the class entries.
- The Standard-Examiner’s live online community will vote for the overall winners March 13-18.
- The first place ad chosen by the public will be published in the NIE Design-An-Ad section Friday, March 30, 2018.
- There will be a Grand Prize winner, plus 1st and 2nd place prizes will be awarded to the students.
2018 Design-An-Ad Photography Contest Rules
THE 2018 DESIGN-AN-AD PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST IS
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC (any age) & STUDENTS Grades 5-12
The 2018 Design-An-Ad Photography Contest will be judged based on the theme “This is _____.”
We want student and public entries to use the theme in their subject matter.
- One entry per person, additional entries may result in disqualification.
- Photos should be non-illustrated, without special effects or computer manipulation.
- Entries should be the original work of the photographer and should not have been previously submitted to this contest.
- Photos must be uploaded to the Design-An-Ad website in jpg format.
- Link for entries will be available from Feb.5-March 2 at events.standard.net/daaphotography-contest/
- Photography chosen for publication in the NIE Design-An-Ad section will compete for prizes in one of two categories, Student or Public.
- The NIE Design-An-Ad section publishes on Friday, March 30, 2018. The publication will include the winning entries, plus any other photos chosen by the judges for publication.
- The following prizes will be given to each category: Grand Prize, First Place, and Second Place. Prizes are provided from Farr’s Jewelry and Camera store.